From: forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Help finding a tv tuner card's chipset
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 05:28:33
1 On 23:25 Sat 29 Sep , Patrick May wrote:
2 > On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 03:17:14PM -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
3 > > On 13:41 Sat 29 Sep , Grant Edwards wrote:
4 > > > On 2007-09-29, forgottenwizard <phrexianreaper@××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > > Since I'm using cable, I figure if I need to, in 17 month I
7 > > > > can get a converter, or afford to buy a better card.
8 > > >
9 > > > If you're using cable, you may not need to. Cable companies
10 > > > are free to continue distributing analog signals as long as
11 > > > they want.
12 > > >
13 > > > --
14 > > > Grant Edwards grante Yow! I need to discuss
15 > > > at BUY-BACK PROVISIONS
16 > > > visi.com with at least six studio
17 > > > SLEAZEBALLS!!
18 > > >
19 > > > --
20 > > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
21 > > >
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > Good to know. Right now I'm down to finding a working app (mplayer only
25 > > seems to work so far, and it doesn't seem to work quite right).
26 >
27 > Grant is correct. The digital switch only applies to OTA (Over the Air). Cable
28 > operators could do whatever they want.
29 >
30 > Not sure why the PVR-150 isn't just working out of the box for you. I know
31 > there were some complaints about Hauppauge quietly putting another device in
32 > the box. And that's because of the switch over. As of March 1, 2007
33 > manufacturers had to include a digital tuner if they included an analog tuner.
34 > This included computer interface cards as well. I believe the new Hauppauge is
35 > a PVR-1600 with dual tuner (NTSC & ATSC).
36 >
37 > Good luck.
38 >
39 > Patrick
40
41 It seems to work. Using at and cat, I can record TV shows (needs a bit
42 of work to make sure everything is scripted right, but I'm working on
43 that). That along with mplayer target_file.mpg, I can watch and record
44 at the same time, and mplayer /dev/video0 works for straight TV.
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list