From: Alexander Kirillov <nevis2us@××××××××.su>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Apache ?!?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:18:21
1 Hi William,
2 You should also have the list of workers
3 with the DOCUMENTS they are currently serving.
4 If you don't, check if ExtendedStatus is On in httpd.conf.
5 If you're using any scripting engines server-side you probably
6 should check the limits on the resources your scripts may consume.
7 Like max_execution_time, memory_limit, mysql.connect_timeout and so on
8 if it's PHP.
9 HTH,
10 Sasha
11
12 > I have it running. I believe the lines that follow this one :
13 > Srv PID Acc M CPU SS Req Conn Child Slot Client VHost Request
14 > are the ones that are going to give me an answer.
15 >
16 > The start of the page gives me this information :
17 > Current Time: Tuesday, 28-Feb-2006 20:14:15 CET
18 > Restart Time: Tuesday, 28-Feb-2006 19:54:28 CET
19 > Parent Server Generation: 0
20 > Server uptime: 19 minutes 47 seconds
21 > Total accesses: 219 - Total Traffic: 1.4 MB
22 > CPU Usage: u5.88 s.8 cu0 cs0 - .563% CPU load
23 > .184 requests/sec - 1263 B/second - 6.7 kB/request
24 > 31 requests currently being processed, 5 idle servers
25 >
26 > This long after my swap space got filled. That only takes about 2 minutes. And doesn't get filled with Apache not running. The CPU load doesn't rise higher then 5%.
27 >
28 > If I understand the lines at the bottom of the page. And the direction you are heading at. Then my problem is site related. Only how do I know which one causes it. Or where do I have to pay the most attention at when looking at the outcome? Which always changes, I don't see anything looking different, or sticking out from the rest.
29 >
30 >>If you've enabled server-status handler
31 >>this might give you an idea of what apache threads are doing
32 >>when it's eating up your resources.
33 >>HTH,
34 >>Sasha
37 >>>That's just what buggers me the most. NO. If only I did I would know how to
38 >>>get back.
39 >>>
40 >>>It's happening for some time now. Only since yesterday evening it's
41 >>>persistent. When it first came to my attention I was thinking at a cron job
42 >>>that triggered something, or a visitor. Even without any cron jobs running
43 >>>it's happening. And it is not visitor related. At least not as far as I can
44 >>>figure out true there IP-numbers and so on. I was thinking this because I
45 >>>had the impression that it happened on a regular basis, every two weeks or
46 >>>so. When I then stopped Apache for a few seconds and restarted Apache again
47 >>>everything was back to normal.
48 >>>
49 >>>I now have been uninstalling everything that I could miss for a while, even
50 >>>stopped Apache for several hours. No result. The only thing that happens is
51 >>>a very slow server.
52 >>>
53 >>>
54 >>>>Did you change something in the apache configuration or anything else?
55 >>>>
56 >>>>
57 >>>>>Just a question. Has anyone experienced the fact that Apache is eating up
58 >>>>>all the server resources and filling all swap space? Where do I find the
59 >>>>>reason why? Or in what log-file do I look for what reason? The server runs
60 >>>>>a Drupal based site if that should matter. Only after restarting Apache it
61 >>>>>directly goes true the roof. As well as I am at the moment.
62 >>>>>
63 >>>>>To be honest, it runs on Debian. I know, I know, if only I had the nerves
64 >>>>>to install Gentoo on it from a distance. Then I would be as happy as my
65 >>>>>home system running day after day without stopping, thanks to Gentoo. Only
66 >>>>>I don't want to surprise the hosting company and tell them to please fix my
67 >>>>>ssh connection. At least not for now ;-)
68 >>>>>
69 >>>>>Thanks in advance, why aren't all systems like Gentoo. It could also be
70 >>>>>possible that it's me being to stupid :-)
71 >>>>>
72 >>>>>Cheers,
73 >>>>>William.
77 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list