From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Infrastructure?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 07:36:56
1 On 09/19/2016 10:54 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Just curious, but how are gentoo's infra assets organized?
3 >
4 > Do you guys use VMs on top of hardware machines and whatnot?
5 >
6 > Reasons for asking:
7 >
8 > * general curiosity
9 > * wondering how a migration to use anongit.gentoo.org
10 > <http://anongit.gentoo.org> instead of github would go, particularly if
11 > it would help ease pressure on the rsync servers if demand went down
12 > - I heard something about a social contract where relying on third
13 > parties was a frowny point.
16 Popping in to #gentoo-infra and chatting with the folks there may get
17 you a faster response.
18
19 As far as I know, we accept pull requests from the GitHub mirror *or* a
20 standard `git format-patch` e-mail.
21
22 We do have a social contract[1] which indicates that we will not depend
23 on proprietary software. That said, the GitHub mirror is there for
24 convenience; I'm betting part of why we use it on the side is because it
25 already meshes well with Git to begin with and can be a good 'gateway'
26 for new contributors.
27
28 We also accept patches on the gentoo-dev ML or (depending on the
29 developer) personal e-mails or Bugzilla bugs. You might want to check
30 out a few pages on the wiki regarding how we handle contributions, or
31 pop in #gentoo-proxy-maint on Freenode.
32
33 [1] https://gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
34 --
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6