From: Statux <statux@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] quickcam pro 4000
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 02:47:20
1 On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 23:15 +0100, Paul Sobey wrote:
2 > James wrote:
3 >
4 > > I have this usb camera installed (or so I think):
5 > >
6 > > lsbus:
7 > > Bus 004 Device 003: ID 046d:08b2 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro 4000
8 > >
9 > > /etc/udev/rules.d/40-video.rules has this entry:
10 > > KERNEL=="video[0-9]*", NAME="v4l/video%n", SYMLINK+="%k", GROUP="video"
13 > > So what is a good application to view the live video with?
14
15 I use ekiga with gnome for conferencing and camorama with the same
16 camera you have. I haven't found a video capturing program yet, though.
17 I hope someone knows of a nice one :-)
18
19 > This used to work really well with the pwc set of drivers, but support
20 > was removed from the kernel, and thus Gentoo, a few months ago. I ended
21 > up buying a Logitech Quickcam 9000 to replace mine, which has much
22 > better picture, and is supported by the uvc set of drivers - these seem
23 > to be under more active development.
26 PWC support was added back into the kernel a long time ago under the V4L
27 version 1 section of the configuration.
28
29 The licensing for the proprietary drivers was dropped way back (those
30 were the extra drivers that got you higher framerates and better quality
31 images, etc) and yes, the support was yanked from the kernel but said
32 support has been returned, which made me happy because, as I noted, I
33 too have one of these cameras.
34
35 > Sorry I don't have a better answer!
36 >
37 > Paul
38
39 -Statux