From: Lie Ryan <lie.1296@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fire the fox.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:36:38
1 On 09/19/10 18:08, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >> Firefox 4 indeed is smoother (probably due to the new animations,
3 >> probably because none of the plugins I used are compatible yet, but
4 >> maybe it is just faster); but it is definitely more memory hungrier than
5 >> before. In Fx3, it usually took around ~20-25% of my 1GB RAM and that's
6 >> with opening a bunch lot of pages; Fx4 generally takes around ~25-30%.
7 >>
8 >> While taking 30% of my RAM is fine when I'm not multitasking, the main
9 >> problem is I am always multitasking. With Thunderbird taking another
10 >> 15-20%, emerge ranging from 5-30%, and X about 5-10%, my computer is
11 >> becoming unbearably slow when memory starved.
12 >>
13 >> I've been thinking about adding -Os (optimize-size) to my CFLAGS, does
14 >> anyone knows if doing that will possibly bring down memory usage and
15 >> speed up the computer?
16 >
17 > No it will not.
18 >
19 > It's the size of the binary code image that is reduced, you may find that the
20 > firefox *code* in memory is smaller too. But it will do nothing for the data
21 > structures firefox creates to do it's job.
22
23 Makes sense, I just realized how stupid a thought it was...