From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: The X11-trap: Once back on textconsole...and no one comes back ever...
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 21:13:48
1 On 15/01/16 21:50, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > regardless how powerful a payable graphics card may be...
3 > if one uses the same graphicsscards for rendering as for the desktop
4 > the desktop starts heavily lagging/freezing just in the moment
5 > blenders rendering engine Cycles start working.
6 > At least, these are my experiences.
7 > Thats why I use an old just-fast-enough graphics card for the desktop
8 > and a second, more current one for rendering only.
9
10 Yeah, makes sense. Which drivers are you using? NVidia's changelogs
11 almost always have a "fixed console switching issues" entry on every
12 driver release. It seems they're still haven't figured this out
13 completely, so the only suggestion I can give is to try more recent drivers.
14
15 Another thing is to test whether a text-only console vs a framebuffer
16 one makes any difference. Officially, nvidia only supports text mode
17 consoles. At least on my system, the nvidia driver prints this on dmesg
18 with my framebuffer console setup:
19
20 NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
21 NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
22 NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
23 NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
24 NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
25
26 Although I have no choice in the matter really, since text mode is not
27 supported on my system. Fortunately it's been working without issues for
28 me. But text mode might solve your issue (if your system supports that.)
29 Or it might not :-P