From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] nvidia-legacy-drivers problems/questions
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 01:48:23
1 Hi,
2 I'm doing updates to my dad's Gentoo machine 350 miles away. It
3 pretty much hasn't been touched in about a year as per his request.
4 However we agreed it was time to move forward so I've done the
5 gcc-4.1.1 upgrade and rebuilt the machine completely. At the command
6 line from here things look like they are running with the new kernel.
7 ivtv is up for MythTV recording. I don't know how to tell what state
8 his screen is in since he isn't home to look at it. However I seem to
9 be having problems with the NVidia drivers so I'm looking for some
10 help.
11
12 When I first built the machine I installed nvidia-drivers. After
13 rebooting with the new 2.6.18-gentoo-r4 kernel nvidia was loaded but
14 got a message in dmesg telling me that the card is supported by
15 nvidia-legacy-drivers:
16
17 <SNIP>
18 NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X GPU installed in this system is
19 NVRM: supported through the NVIDIA Legacy drivers. Please
20 NVRM: visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
21 NVRM: information. The 1.0-9742 NVIDIA driver will ignore
22 NVRM: this GPU. Continuing probe...
23 NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!
24 <SNIP>
25
26 I then removed that NVidia package and emerged
27 nvidia-drivers-legacy. It seemed to emerge but I saw this message when
28 building it:
29
30 <SNIP>
31 test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (
32 \
33 echo; \
34 echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
35 echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or
36 include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
37 echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel
38 src to fix it."; \
39 echo; \
40 /bin/false)
41 <SNIP>
42
43 However I think the driver does load as I see this at the end of dmesg:
44
45 <SNIP>
46 Adding 1172264k swap on /dev/sda5. Priority:-1 extents:1 across:1172264k
47 eth0: setting full-duplex.
48 ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNK4] enabled at IRQ 5
49 ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:03:00.0[A] -> Link [LNK4] -> GSI 5 (level,
50 low) -> IRQ 5
51 NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 Kernel Module 1.0-7184 Tue Aug 1
52 18:38:58 PDT 2006
53 gandalf ~ #
54 <SNIP>
55
56 The problem I seem to be having right now is with xdm. It stops OK,
57 but when I try to start it I get these messages:
58
59 <SNIP>
60 gandalf ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm stop
61 * Stopping xdm ...
62 [ ok ]
63 gandalf ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm status
64 * status: stopped
65 gandalf ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm start
66 * Setting up xdm ...
67 /sbin/start-stop-daemon: stat /usr/bin/xdm: No such file or directory
68 (No such file or directory)
69 * ERROR: could not start the Display Manager...
70 xdm: no process killed
71 [ ok ]
72 gandalf ~ # /etc/init.d/xdm status
73 * status: started
74 gandalf ~ #
75 <SNIP>
76
77 So it seems, from 350 miles away, that xdm is stopping and
78 starting, but I get error messages. What's up with that?
79
80 What I'm really wondering right now is what is being displayed on
81 his screen? Is there a login window? Seems like maybe it's working:
82
83 gandalf ~ # ps aux | grep xdm
84 root 11983 0.0 0.1 1604 524 pts/0 R+ 17:38 0:00 grep
85 --colour=auto xdm
86 gandalf ~ #
87
88 but what is that error message above telling me? What else can I do
89 from here to investigate the state of this remote machine?
90
91 Thanks in advance!
92
93 Cheers,