From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev 208 to 212 update, 2 questions...
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 18:35:18
1 Ok, Getting ready to do this update, but the wiki text is confusing...
2
3 It states:
4
5 ****************************************
6
7 "udev 208 to 212
8
9 The following special attention is required:
10
11 <snip>
12
13 File /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules was replaced with
14 /lib/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules. If you are currently using an
15 empty (or single-comment) /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules to
16 disable predictable network interface names, you should now use
17 80-net-setup-link.rules. eg:
18
19 cd /etc/udev/rules.d/ && ln 80-net-name-slot.rules 80-net-setup-link.rules
20
21 ..to keep the override both pre- and post-upgrade; you can then:
22
23 rm /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules
24
25 ..once you have upgraded. The hardlink can be made now, in order to
26 protect against not noticing the upgrade in a busy or non-professional
27 situation.
28
29 However, 80-net-setup-link.rules is only a trigger for the actual
30 configuration file 99-default.link at /lib/systemd/network/ which you
31 can override at /etc/systemd/network/
32 The most reliable way of disabling the new network interface scheme is
33 still the kernel bootline parameter: net.ifnames=0
34
35 *********************************************
36
37 Question 1:
38 What if I am not using an empty (or single comment)
39 /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules?
40
41 Does this mean I can ignore everything that follows (the comment really
42 should open with that if so)?
43
44 Question 2: What is up with the last section talking about the net setup
45 rules only with respect to systemd?
46
47 OpenRC is currently still the default init system for gentoo if I'm not
48 mistaken, so why does this comment only reference systemd, totally
49 ignoring OpenRC users?
50
51 Thanks,
52