From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth over usb
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2017 21:06:27
1 On 05/10/2017 21:39, pat@××××××××.org wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm installing gentoo on new laptop which doesn't have eth slot. I have
5 > i-tec usb-eth adapter which works fine (tested on linux live distribution).
6 >
7 > For the first time: I've configured kernel, compiled, loaded kernel
8 > module and created link to /etc/init.d/net.lo and somehow I've push it
9 > all to work (ifconfig lists enp0s20f0u1 interface).
10 >
11 > But after reboot plugging in the adapter doesn't create enp0s20f0u1
12 > interface, so the ifconfig lists only 'lo'.
13 >
14 > Please could somebody help?
15 >
16 > Attached is kernel config, lshw and dmesg outputs.
17
18 Best way to get a handle on what you need for things like this is to
19 reboot into the live cd and plug in the adapter. Then examine dmesg,
20 lsmod and othr relevant sources of info to see what the live cd did.
21 Make notes, replicate that on your gentoo system.
22
23 Almost any other method really just comes down to firing in the dark and
24 hoping you might hit something.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com