From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage-2.2.0_alpha38 & --depclean
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 00:24:13
1 On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 23:39 on Tuesday 07 June 2011, Mark Knecht did
3 > opine thusly:
4 >
5 >>    I have no problem with saying someone needs to understand what less
6 >> does. less isn't important. It's just the example at hand today. The
7 >> 'problem' that I'm trying to get closer to answering is how does
8 >> anyone other than a Gentoo dev, assuming some reasonable amount of
9 >> effort, know that less isn't called by some script somewhere during
10 >> the init process? How does one come to understand that maybe less is
11 >> just as import as python is to the emerge process?  (and I know it
12 >> isn't...)
13 >>
14 >>    What I didn't like about this issue popping up yesterday is that it
15 >> altered the idea that average users never touch anything in @system.
16 >> Iin fact, TTBOMK I've never in 11 or 12 years of running Gentoo ever
17 >> done an emerge -C on a @system package until this morning when I
18 >> removed nano.
19 >
20 > OK, now we're tracking.
23 Good.
24
25 > In the specific case of less, the answer is self-evident - it isn't needed. A
26 > dev would just know that. More likely, he would assume he knows that.
27 >
28 > In the general case, they suck their thumbs and guess. Some think more than
29 > others before they guess, they should all do some basic tests to catch severe
30 > errors before committing changes and additions, and all of them rely on
31 > unstable users finding other oddities and bugs.
32 >
33 > flameeyes gave some hints and clues into how this works on his blog recently:
34 >
35 > http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/05/25/psa-packages-failing-to-install-with-new-
36 > openrc-based-stages-missing-users-and-groups
37 >
38 > It's specific to openrc, but if you follow his blog it's easy to read between
39 > the lines to see what he's getting at usually.
40 >
41 > I don't think I've ever met a dev that releases code any other way :-)
42 >
43 > None of the above is fact and all of it is my opinion but I do think I'm close
44 > to the mark.
45
46 Thanks for the link. It looks interesting.
47
48 Cheers,
49 Mark