From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to manage the upgrade.
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 23:31:02
1 On Wednesday 12 September 2007 20:59:50 econti wrote:
2 > Hi all, it's me again.
3 > Above all, thank you everybody for the help . . .but now I am a little
4 > confused.
5 > Well, here is what I understood:
6
7 0. Resolve blockages.. :p
8
9 > 1 - first of all: to upgrade gcc following what explained here ->
10 >
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml
12
13 This guide isn't for upgrading gcc. Do you really need to change your CHOST?
14 If you do be careful when following the above guide since it has the
15 potential to break your system bad enough that you'll have to reinstall if
16 you aren't careful..
17
18 This is for gcc upgrades only:
19
20 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
21
22 > 2 - to upgrade xorg (but I have not been able to find any usefull doc.
23 > Could you give any link, please?)
24
25 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/modular-x-howto.xml
26
27 > 3 - to upgrade the remaining pakages
28 >
29 > 4 - to install the new kernel
30 >
31 > 5 - to change profile
32 >
33 > How many mistakes did I do?
34 >
35 > P.S. I did not understand the expat matter. ;-(
36
37 expat had an ABI bump which requires all programs that link against it to be
38 rebuilt. That's a lot of programs... revdep-rebuild is supposed to take care
39 of this but since you're going to rebuild everything anyway (due to the gcc
40 upgrade and possibly the chost change) this won't really matter to you..
43 Bo Andresen