From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo alternatives
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 05:30:50
1 Hund wrote:
2 >> My biggest problem with Gentoo was not so much the time needed to
3 >> compile huge ebuilds like Firefox, Thunderbird, or Chromium, but that
4 >> say if you neglected doing updates for a while and then decided to start
5 >> again, then you'd have serious problems. This is because, at least the
6 >> way I understood it, after some time old ebuilds would get deleted from
7 >> the Portage servers to conserve space there, but some of those now
8 >> deleted ebuilds would still be needed as dependencies to do iterative
9 >> updates. The sure-way to resolve this problem would be to re-emerge the
10 >> whole @world set, which of course would take way-longer than just
11 >> Firefox, and might work differently because the '/etc/' configuration
12 >> schema might have changed.
13 >>
14 >> In my case I had some weird problem either emerging some ebuild or
15 >> keeping an old version of an ebuild to keep the functionality or the
16 >> '/etc/' schema removed in the new versions. I just let things sit, and
17 >> moved on to other projects. But when later on I tried to go back to the
18 >> original issue, I had even more trouble because now I was even further
19 >> behind @world, and more ebuilds would not upgrade because of deleted
20 >> dependencies.
21 >>
22 >> So to sum it up, my problem with Gentoo was that you could not just do
23 >> iterative updates after long periods of inactivity. You pretty much had
24 >> to emerge daily and if you had some problem then drop everything and fix
25 >> it right away, or else you'll fall even further behind and eventually
26 >> might have to rebuild @world. And so because constant attention
27 >> intervention and trial and error was required you could not just compile
28 >> huge ebuilds overnight and go about your life during the day.
29 > It's funny how different two people can perceive the same thing.
30 >
31 > One of the very reason I like Gentoo is the fact that I *don't* have to do daily, or even weekly updates. I'm rather busy with life right now and I just love how little love Gentoo requires to work, and how reliable it is. I have never had any issues with postponing updates for longer periods of time.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Hund
39 Depending on what you consider a longer period of time, you may have
40 just been lucky.  There's been a couple threads in the past year or so
41 where people didn't update for a while and had to jump through hoops to
42 get their system updated.  I think one just did a reinstall because it
43 was faster and easier.  Another did the upgrade just as a learning
44 experience.  I seem to recall that a reinstall would have been faster.
45 I'm not sure what was learned tho.
46
47 In the past, others have had this same problem.  It is recommended by
48 long term users not to go longer than 3 or 4 months for a pretty easy
49 upgrade path in most cases.  Sometimes depending on changes, that can
50 stretch to 6 months.  That said, during some major changes, even going a
51 couple months can cause some serious bumps in the upgrade path.  It may
52 be doable but certainly more difficult.
53
54 Gentoo supports updates up to a year old.  Thing is, that means Gentoo
55 and the package manager does, it doesn't mean the packages upstream
56 won't cause some issues or that you won't run into hard blocks that have
57 to be handled manually.
58
59 I been using Gentoo since 2003.  I've read some horror stories on
60 waiting to update for a year or more.  It's no fun.  Many years ago, it
61 would be almost impossible.
62
63 Dale
64