From: "Holger Hoffstätte" <holger@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, "Paul B. Henson" <henson@×××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: openjdk?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 23:31:12
1 On 4/24/19 12:23 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:
2 > So Oracle java has a crappy license now, and I see on the dev list
3 > they're even talking about removing it from portage. However, openjdk
4 > has no stable version, and the ebuild contains:
5 >
6 > if use gentoo-vm ; then
7 > ewarn "WARNING! You have enabled the gentoo-vm USE flag, making
8 > this JDK"
9 > ewarn "recognised by the system. This will almost certainly
10 > break things."
11 >
12 > Which doesn't build confidence as far as using it 8-/. icedtea is pretty
13 > old. What are people doing for java needs currently? Abusing the Oracle
14 > license? Running old icedtea versions? Ignoring the openjdk warning?
15
16 The warning in this form is nonsense and only ever applied to JDK > 8,
17 since ebuilds containing java bits *might* fail due to the module system
18 since JDK9+, nothing else. There is no notable difference between
19 oracle-jdk-8, icedtea-8 or openjdk-8 other than IcedTea (being the JDK-8
20 LTS maintained by RedHat) also containing the (awesome) Shenandoah GC -
21 which was also merged into the official upstream JDK12.
22
23 IcedTea will probably (from my reading on the list) just continue the
24 3.x series for JDK8 and get a new series 4.x for JDK11 (since it's LTS).
25 I offered to help with maintenance & testing but for some reason they were
26 not interested. ¯\(ツ)/¯
27
28 It is perfectly "safe" to unmask the gentoo-vm USE flag and set openjdk-bin-8
29 as system VM. It is also perfectly "safe" to install openjdk-11 in parallel
30 with said flag enabled as long as you don't set it as system VM or know
31 what you're doing.
32
33 As it happens I was just copying the openjdk-bin-11 ebuild into my local overlay
34 as openjdk-bin-12 (because I need Shenandoah) with the gentoo-vm flag enabled
35 and it eselects, integrates and works fine just as well.
36
37 hth :)
38 Holger