From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSD success - I think
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 14:48:03
1 Hello list,
2
3 A week ago the 2.5" drive on my Atom LAN mini-server failed, so I decided to
4 bite the bullet and replace it with an SSD. Interesting times!
5
6 Today I took the box off-line and backed up the entire, newly built system to
7 external USB2 disk. The 3GB took four minutes, a third or a quarter of the
8 previous time on the spinning disk. Good news!
9
10 I find though that fstrim can't operate on /boot, which is a separate ext2 file
11 system. It reports:
12 fstrim: /boot: FITRIM ioctl failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
13 Is this because it's an ext2 partition, not ext4 like the rest of them? Man
14 fstrim makes no mention of file-system types.
15
16 Maybe I've not laid out the partitions properly. I used gparted from a recent
17 System Rescue CD (http://sysresccd.org), which said it was leaving 1MB unused
18 before /dev/sda1.
19
20 While I'm here, would anyone like to suggest suitable parameters to mkfs for
21 any of my file-systems? Here's the fstab:
22
23 /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,relatime 1 2
24 /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
25 /dev/sda5 / ext4 relatime 0 1
26 /dev/sda6 /var ext4 relatime 0 2
27 /dev/sda7 /home ext4 relatime 0 2
28 /dev/sda8 /var/cache/squid ext4 relatime 0 3
29 /dev/sda9 /usr/portage ext4 relatime 0 3
30 /dev/sda10 /usr/portage/packages ext4 relatime 0 4
31 /dev/sda11 /usr/local ext4 relatime 0 2
32 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
33 tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
34 tmpfs /var/tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid 0 0
35 shm /dev/shm tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0
36
37 I created all the ext4 file-systems with -O ^has_journal to avoid concentrated
38 wear. Is this still a good idea nowadays? I'm happy to sacrifice the comfort of
39 journalling since recovering this small box from backup is so quick and easy.
40 Of course I did plenty of googling before doing anything and picked out what
41 still seemed appropriate, but I could easily have missed something important.
44 Regards
45 Peter