From: Dru Kargin <drukargin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slim hassle...to login or not to login
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 15:45:02
1 > Hi,
2 >
3 > while installing a new system from ground up on my new harddisc
4 > I came accross a silly problem:
5 >
6 > I have setup X and slim as login manager. I installed openbox
7 > (no kde/gnome) as session manager.
8 >
9 > Slim starts...and: The keyboard and the mouse are not responding...
10 >
11 > Same happens when I start plain X as root. Screen remains black
12 > and I have to use the sysreq-keys to get my box back to normal...
13 >
14 > The X-logfile shows as only Error, that the GLX-module could not be
15 > found.
16 >
17 > I am using nvidia-drivers and reinstalled them as adviced but the
18 > effect remains the same.
19 >
20 > hald is running. fonts are installed (at least the default ones).
21 >
22 > Also installed are:
23 > x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev Generic Linux input driver
24 > x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard Keyboard input driver
25 > x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse X.Org driver for mouse input devices
26 >
27 > eselect opengl set nvidia is done.
28 >
29 > What is missing? Why dies this not work (my old system running on
30 > the same hardware using the same setup in principle has no problem
31 > at all with X/Openbox.
32 >
33 > Why does X only half???
34 >
35 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
36 >
37 > Best regards,
38 > mcc
39 >
40 Are your keyboard and mouse "InputDevice"s in xorg.conf configured to
41 use the evdev driver, and does your "ServerLayout" section contain
42 InputDevice lines to correctly point to those devices? I have had some
43 weird problems with slim, but never trouble like you describe with plain
44 X/twm.
45
46 -Dru