From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage getting mixed up with USE?
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:28:18
1 On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:31:40 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > autounmask is set by default, you need to explicitly set it to off.
4
5 > is it invisibly on then? I don't have it in make.conf and it's not in
6 > FEATURES:
7
8 Apparently so, as it doesn't show up in emerge --info here either.
9
10 > > > I'm a sysadmin, I have an inherent distrust of all things
11 > > > software and automagic-config-changers are scary things indeed
12 > > > :-)
13 > >
14 > > autounmask doesn't actually do anything, it only tells you what
15 > > should be added to /etc/portage/package.use. You need to use
16 > > autounmask-write for that, which doesn't play nicely if package.use
17 > > is a directory[1]. However, it does respect the --ask flag, making
18 > > it safe for all but the most paranoid BOFHs (no names Alan) to use.
19 > >
20 > > [1] It writes to a file of its choosing in that directory, with no
21 > > regard to its relevance. I'd prefer it to write to something like
22 > > packagename.autounmasked or even just packagename as it adds a
23 > > comment to the file to explain the content.
24 >
25 > Hmmmmmmmmmmm, still sounds like something that should be banned. For
26 > me at least.
27
28 Too right, we can't have software telling us what needs to be done to
29 install it! What will we use Google for now?
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.