From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] do subslots improve user-experience?
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 13:16:59
1 On 02/11/2013 14:04, hasufell wrote:
2 > Another round of questioning the users here.
3 >
4 > more specifically:
5 > * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?
6
7 Let's see, that depends.
8
9 It mostly mostly on what is happening with poppler and icu today.
10
11 Other than those, I don't recall any long-term problems relating to
12 useless rebuilds; by and large they seem to be valid
13
14 > * do you really have a problem with running
15 > revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?
16
17 No, no problem whatsoever. emerge @preserved -rebuild is my preferred
18 method, I find it vastly superior to sub-slot operators which
19
20 a) involve weird magic in the ebuild and
21 b) I still don't understand despite reading all the docs I can find on
22 the matter.
23
24 The problem seems to be that preserved-rebuild and revdep-rebuild detect
25 actual breakage and fix what is really wrong right now.
26
27 Subslots seem to try and avoid breakage and depend heavily on amount of
28 clue from the dev (a highly variable quantity)
29
30 > * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff to the PM, so
31 > that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?
32
33 No, subslots should be obsoleted, I consider them a failed experiment in
34 unnecessary complexity. emerge world is already long-running, if I had a
35 problem with a few more steps after it completes I would write a wrapper
36 script
37
38 > * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
39 > work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)
40
41 yes, revdep-rebuild is my plan C. Occasionally it finds something,
42 usually itcompletes in about 40 secodns and is clean. I consider those
43 40 seconds well spent, a final confirmation step
46 > If you want my opinion on subslots:
47 > # grep EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS /etc/portage/make.conf
48 > EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y"
52 Alan McKinnon
53 Systems Engineer^W Technician
54 Infrastructure Services
55 Internet Solutions