From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Emerge stalls
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 04:15:18
1 My machine is on a Public School system network, behind a firewall. I
2 wonder whether this is affecting the merging process. I'm not
3 knowledgeable enough about networking to understand how the firewall
4 works, what it affects.
5
6 When emerging a package, often the process starts, runs for a short
7 while, then stalls out. If I restart it (kill it and rerun the same
8 command) the same thing goes on---I get maybe another 10, 20, or even
9 50MB, then the process stalls again. Sometimes, afterhours, when
10 everyone is gone, I can restart a stalled process, and it starts and
11 finishes immediately, even if it a 10+MB file that is involved.
12
13 Can someone suggest to me what this suggests, in terms of firewall
14 activity? I have heard remarks about the quality of the firewall.
15 Could it be a router? I saw some mention of routers not allowing
16 certain kinds of requests or certain numbers of requests.
17
18 I don't intend to swamp this system. It's pretty dismal anyway, but I
19 wonder what's happening. Maybe I can point something out to the
20 sysops.
21
22 Alan Davis
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list