From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switched from rsync to git, now emerge --sync fails
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:50:25
1 On 2021-10-13, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 13 Oct 2021 18:25:12 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> Yesterday I switched my gentoo repo from rsync to git, and the initial
5 >> --sync with an empty directory did a git clone successfully.
6 >>
7 >> Today, when I try to sync, it always fails:
8 >>
9 >> $ sudo emerge --sync >>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into
10 >> '/var/db/repos/gentoo'... /usr/bin/git fetch origin
11 >> error: RPC failed; HTTP 504 curl 22 The requested URL returned error:
12 >> 504 fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly
13 [...]
14
15 >> After the initial sync which does a git clone, how do you do
16 >> subsequent sync operations?
17 >
18 > emerge --sync works here. What do you have in repos.conf?
19
20 I didn't have a sync-depth setting. Setting that to 1 fixed the
21 problem. It was apparently timing out because it takes too long for
22 the server to respond to a fetch with an unlimited depth. Seems like
23 maybe it ought to default to 1? Is there some reason it should default
24 to doing unlimited depth fetch operations?
27 Grant