From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR & GPT dual compliant format
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 11:14:26
1 On 23 July 2016 04:29:50 CEST, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > R0b0t1 <r030t1 <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On Jul 22, 2016 5:43 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil <at> digimed.co.uk>
5 > wrote:
6 > > > I take it this is a limitation of Apple's firmware as I have set
7 > up a
8 > > > number of uUEFI systems and never had to do this.
9 >
10 > > It is.
13 > There is another document that talks in depth about the issue,
14 > although
15 > it was centric to using gpt disk on a bios world that was slowly
16 > moving
17 > to efi [1].
20 > [1] http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/8035.html
21 >
22 > Here is the essence::
23 > "But most BIOSes (and most older operating systems) don't understand
24 > GPT, so
25 > plugging in a GPT-partitioned disk would result in the system
26 > believing that
27 > the drive was uninitialised. This is avoided by specifying a
28 > protective MBR.
29 > This is a valid MBR partition table with a single partition covering
30 > the
31 > entire disk (or the first 2.2TB of the disk if it's larger than that)
32 > and
33 > the partition type set to 0xee ("GPT Protective"). GPT-unaware BIOSes
34 > and
35 > operating systems will see a partition they don't understand and
36 > simply
37 > ignore it."
40 > I do not know how to set up a 'protective MBR', that's my issue. This
41 > reference goes on to talk about how the code was written for parted
42 > but
43 > never made the permanent status. It sure would fix a lot of
44 > installation
45 > issues among many different distros. An excellent read, if anyone has
46 > the
47 > time. Me, I'm going to use this method::
48 >
49 > 1. First, write an example of what the partition table should look
50 > like.
51 >
52 > 2. Figure out the separate tools & sequences to achieve the final
53 > result.
54 >
55 > 3. Document the steps so they are clearly available for our community.
56 >
57 > 4. Hope that one of the devs/hackers spins a patched version of a
58 > "parted"
59 > formatting tool to achieve this ability, system-rescue seems to be
60 > the best
61 > home. Or if a patched parted only lives in an overlay, that would ease
62 > quite
63 > a lot of pain for many folks as in my research experience, setting up
64 > the
65 > disk partitioning schemes is the toughest part of an installation
66 > these
67 > days. This duality of disk usage is critical to my cluster testing
68 > schema.
69 > I'll also have a variety of bootstap codes to deal with from various
70 > embedded systems, in addition to commonly purchased hardware
71 > platforms, so
72 > extending the formatting to other forms of storage, in a consistent
73 > and
74 > generic way, provides an even greater appeal.
75 >
76 > From the same doc::
77 > "It violates the spec and it confuses the majority of partitioning
78 > tools. I
79 > wrote some code to make parted do it at one point, but I don't believe
80 > it
81 > was ever merged. It's very difficult to make it work well. "
82 >
83 > They discuss also some of the MAC family of issues and explain why
84 > macs
85 > still suffer from this malaise. I hope that code is still around....
88 > Thanks for all the advice and help.
89 > James
90
91 Step 1: Use gdisk to create a 1M partition at the start of the disk.
92 Step 2: Set its type to EF02
93 Step 3: There is no step 3,don't overcomplicate things, all the information you need has already been posted.
96 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.