From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 12:44:01
1 Gregory Shearman wrote:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
3 >
4 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>> I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
11 >>>> on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
12 >>>>
13 >>>>
14 >>> This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or two,
15 >>> your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
16 >>>
17 >>>
18 >>>
19 >> It does to me. I want to keep things so that if there is a problem, I
20 >> know how to fix it or can at least get to a point that I can get help on
21 >> it. If LVM fails and I can't boot, then I loose everything on LVM
22 >> because I would have to reinstall from scratch. If it fails just on my
23 >> data stuff, I can get help and fix it because I can still boot up and
24 >> get to my email program. Also, I have the important stuff backed up to
25 >> DVD. I would only loose things that I can download again. I would just
26 >> rather avoid that and I'm sure AT&T would agree. That's a lot of
27 >> downloading.
28 >>
29 > I have all my partitions on LVM except the boot partition. I've used LVM
30 > for more years than I could count and have *never* had a failure related
31 > to LVM.
32 >
33 > I backup my machines to an external drive (2 backup drives actually)
34 > using rsync.
35 >
36 > If I have a failure and cannot boot then I just put in my Gentoo Minimal
37 > CD (which has all the LVM tools available) and I can fix the damage. If
38 > the damage isn't fixable then I can just copy over the backups.
39 >
40 > LVM snapshots make live backups a breeze. Backups are always in a
41 > consistent state and I've tested them and they *work*.
45 If you know how to do that, then that works. Right now, I have no
46 experience with LVM. All I know is what I have read which is about as
47 clear as mud. ;-)
48
49 Dale
50
52
53 P. S. I wonder why this reply was not threaded with the rest? I see
54 this happen sometimes with other threads. Always been curious about that.