From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to emergency manual install of libffi-compat.
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:18:40
1 On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 10:08:26 +0100, Michael wrote:
2
3 > > Apparently installing libffi-compat will un-hose my system where ALL
4 > > SOFTWARE that needs FFI thru python is broken, especially all portage
5 > > tooling...
6 > >
7 > > Is there a repository and walkthru for installing this?
8 >
9 > This may help:
10 >
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Portage/Fixing_broken_portage
12 >
13 > If that won't work for whatever reason, chroot into your system after
14 > you boot with the latest Live-USB and try to update @system.
15 > Alternatively, reinstall.
16
17 Boot into the live USB, if it has libffi-compat installed, you can
18 quickpkg it. Then you can untar the package into / before emerging it
19 properly.
20
21 In future, you should add buildpkg to FEATURES so that you always have
22 binary packages of software so you can roll back with tar in an emergency.
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
29 typewriters will eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare.
30 Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.