From: "caveman رَجُلُ الْكَهْفِ 穴居人" <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libbpf? BTF? blinking urxvt/fish?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:41:18
1 On Sunday, July 11th, 2021 at 13:11, Nils Freydank <nils.freydank@××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi caveman,
4 >
5 > you should really train your search skills :-P
6
7 lel. more like train my cognition.
10 > (1) Just searching for "libbpf" and then for "bpf BTF" gives plenty webpages and
11 >
12 > links. In short:
13 >
14 > BPF: Berkeley packet filter, e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Packet_Filter
15 >
16 > libbpf: a library to use it, e.g.: https://github.com/libbpf/libbpf
17 >
18 > BPF Type Format (BTF) https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v5.9/bpf/btf.html
19
20 i did this before asking here, but didn't fully
21 get it.
22
23 wiki seems to say that it's for speeding up packer
24 filtering by having apps supply a filtering
25 program into the kernel, so that the whole thing
26 is done inside the kernel for speed.
27
28 but i also read elsewhere that it's being used to
29 generally run any apps inside the kernel,
30 ultimately making linux to slowly become into some
31 kind of a micro-kernel design. didn't fully get
32 it.
33
34 but either way, this feature sort of freaks me.
35 is it harming my security? how can i know which
36 app is running its code inside my kernel?
37
38 also, which apps would benefit from this? and why
39 did i end up having it? e.g. any idea which app
40 brought this feature?
41
42 or did gentoo generally go to ship BTF by default?
43 without any app needing it?
46 > (2) "urxvt text blink ANSI": https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=150531
47
48 fixed it by enabling 24-bit-color USE flag.