From: bshlists <bshlists@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More splash problems
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:27:59
1 On August 31, 2005 04:02 am, Uwe Thiem wrote:
2 > On 30 August 2005 16:31, bshlists wrote:
3 > > On August 30, 2005 10:51 am, Holly Bostick wrote:
4 > > > Afaik, it's not a change to a config file, it's a change in the way you
5 > > > generate the initramfs.
6 > > >
7 > > > If you compile it into the kernel (instructions on the Wiki; see How-to
8 > > > fbsplash), it will start up at the very start.
9 > > >
10 > > > If you load it as a separate initrd, you have to wait for the
11 > > > framebuffer to initialize before the splash can start (which takes a
12 > > > short while).
13 > > >
14 > > > Naturally, if you change from loading an initrd to compiling the initrd
15 > > > into the kernel, you do have to change a config file (grub.conf, to
16 > > > remove the initrd= line, since you no longer have one), but changing
17 > > > the file alone won't make any difference if you haven't changed the way
18 > > > you create the initrd in the first place.
19 > > >
20 > > >
21 > > > HTH,
22 > >
23 > > Holly
24 > >
25 > > Okay. The method I used was by genkernel and the initramfs I'm using was
26 > > to get the autodetection feature. If I change this don't lose that
27 > > ability or does it matter?
28 >
29 > "genkernel --menuconfig --gensplash=yourtheme --gensplash-res=1024x768 all"
30 > or whatever resolution you want. You can use the initramfs as usual.
31 >
32 > Uwe
35 Thanks for the suggestion. After reading Holly's suggestion I did more
36 reading and found what you just posted. What seemed to mess my attempts up
37 was that I had to delete the old initramfs before running the above command
38 or I would just get the same results.
39
40 Once that was sorted you everything was good. :-)
43 DWW
44 --
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list