From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving from Lastpass to Bitwarden
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 20:38:51
1 Am Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 10:07:17AM -0600 schrieb Dale:
2
3 > > Call me Ishmael^wold-fashioned. I don’t trust the Internet with anything
4 > > sensitive. Even if the other party behaves trustworthy (trustwortily?). If
5 > > it’s on someone else’s system, it’s out of my reach. A password database not
6 > > only contains the passwords themselves, but naturally also what I have
7 > > passwords for in the first place.
8 >
9 > Thing is, your stuff is likely on the internet already.  You have a bank
10 > account?  […] If you have
11 > credit of any kind, they have your info on the internet already.  It's
12 > how they work.
13
14 > You may think you are protecting yourself but really, you're not.
15
16 Your point is valid. Let’s call what I do minimising the attack surface. :)
17
18 > Pretending the internet doesn't exist just isn't good.  It exists
19 > whether you use it or not.  Just keep in mind, people who have info on
20 > you use it and so does the ones who might want that info.
21
22 Hence my reluctance to put everything out there. Granted, lastpass is one of
23 the brighter examples. On the other extreme, people™ give away their details
24 to rebate systems just to “save” a few bucks on their next grocery shopping.
25
26 > I consider that a false sense of security.  You may feel secure but you
27 > are sadly mistaken.  Unless you live with no digital footprint at all,
28 > likely impossible, you already have info out there.
29 >
30 > I still trust Lastpass and for those willing to pay for it, I'd
31 > recommend it in a heart beat.  It's widely used and secure.
32
33 Well argued.
36 [rant mode on, feel free to skip, I shall hold my peace thereafter]
37
38 The general tendency of both private individuals and companies towards
39 dependence on cloud services is just something I can’t grasp. A car
40 manufacturer has no business knowing in real-time where I might go, but
41 still they take that data simply because it is there. They might not do
42 anything fishy with it *now*. But who knows about two years hence, or what
43 the best governments money can buy think of next, or insurance companies
44 (give us your data or we’ll raise your premiums). Usually, the benefits only
45 go up the chain, not to you, the customer (or rather the “consumer”).
46 As you say – the data is already out there. And I have absolutely no control
47 over what company A tells company B tells company C and what each company
48 does with it. Promises and assurances from entities and politicians are
49 worth crap these days, either by decision (“changed circumstances, we need
50 that now”) or by accident (“oops, we left our database open, we apologise,
51 but your privacy is still important to us”).
52
53 Avoiding Windows is a good start, I think we can all agree on that at least.
54
55 [rant mode off]
56
57 > Just my angle of view.  ;-)
58
59 :)
62 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
63 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
64
65 No mabob without a thingy.