From: Andrey Vul <andrey.vul@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound issue - can't use /dev/dsp
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 17:01:44
1 On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > My MythTV Gentoo box has recently started having issues recording sound.
3 > The TV tuner re-plays audio through the "mic" interface on my soundcard.
4 > It has worked for months, but now MythTV can't read anything from /dev/dsp.
5 >
6 > Any device that uses ALSA directly seems to work fine (like TVTime which
7 > plays TV with audio just fine) - only those that rely on /dev/dsp seem to
8 > have trouble. My simple test shows this:
9 >
10 > # cat /dev/dsp > /dev/null
11 > cat: /dev/dsp: Input/output error
12 >
13 > This was run as root. Perms are fine:
14 >
15 > crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 3 2008-10-03 08:56 /dev/dsp
16 >
17 > Myth user is in audio group (always has been).
18 >
19 > Has something changed in ALSA that I didn't catch? I don't see anything in
20 > my logs or dmesg that shows a problem. My /etc/asound.conf is as follows:
21 > pcm.nforce-hw {
22 > type hw
23 > card 0
24 > }
25 > pcm.!default {
26 > type plug
27 > slave.pcm "nforce"
28 > }
29 > pcm.nforce {
30 > type dmix
31 > ipc_key 1234
32 > ipc_perm 0660
33 > slave {
34 > pcm "hw:0,0"
35 > period_time 0
36 > period_size 1024
37 > buffer_size 4096
38 > #rate 44100
39 > rate 48000
40 > }
41 > }
42 > ctl.nforce-hw {
43 > type hw
44 > card 0
45 > }
48 > I have tried without this asound.conf and see the same issue.
49 Try using alsaconf as root.
53 Andrey Vul
54
55 A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
56 Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
57 A: Top-posting.
58 Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?