From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel2.6.33: ATA failed command: READ FPDMA QUEUED, hard resetting link
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:57:23
1 On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 > On 26 Mar 2010, at 22:21, Paul Hartman wrote:
5 >>
6 >> ...
7 >> Well, I was thinking more about something like alteriong IOH/ICH
8 >> voltage, or whichever voltage powers the SATA controllers. It has 12
9 >> SATA headers on this motherboard but I don't know how much it can
10 >> realistically handle at once. Hopefully all of my disks. :)
11 >
12 > Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd do that.
13 >
14 > If I thought it was a power issue - and that seems quite a reasonable
15 > possibility - I would replace the PSU first.
16 >
17 > What PSU are you using at the moment? Brand / wattage?
18 >
19 > I think these are probably overkill:
20 >
21 > http://www.bluepoint.net/AKAPSU066
22 > http://www.bluepoint.net/AKAPSU071
23 >
24 > However, if you're using a 450W PSU at the moment, you can get an OCZ
25 > branded 600W for less than £50. I tend to be suspicious of cheap unbranded
26 > and Wong Fu 350W - 450W PSUs. Often a 350W PSU from a manufacturer with a
27 > half-decent brand (eg Trust) will be better than a no-name 450W PSU.
28 >
29 > It seems important not only the actual wattage that the PSU gives out
30 > (measured with an analogue-needle multimeter) but also how stable that
31 > voltage is, how smooth, consistent and reliable it is. Unless your PSU is
32 > absolute top-notch quality, try to under-utilise it.
33 >
34 > With 6 x hard-drives, I would be generous with supplying power - I think a
35 > 600W PSU would easily be justified.
36 >
37 > Stroller.
40 I have a 750W Corsair 750TX which should be plenty (if not overkill).
41 Seems to have all the bells and whistles (though I wish I had bought
42 the modular version). I definitely agree about the cheap no-name PSUs,
43 I've seen some USD$10 ones go up in smoke after just a few minutes of
44 use.
45
46 Based on the little info I could find Googling it seems the most
47 likely explanations are:
48
49 IRQ handling weirdness (but that was more probable in older
50 motherboards and kernels)
51 ahci driver issues (I will reboot with the controllers in "legacy"
52 mode to use the non-ahci drivers and see what happens)
53 a bad drive, bad cable, bad controller, bad sector, something physically bad.
54
55 Overnight I copied several hundred gigs of data (and still going) and
56 the error has not been reproduced. Before installing, I did a full
57 SMART test (a few hours) and a badblocks read-only test (even more
58 hours) and neither showed any errors. I did not do a full read/write
59 test, though.
60
61 I haven't heard any unexpected noises coming from the drives (no
62 clicks of doom), though I have so many fans going it may be hard to
63 hear.
64
65 Thanks.