From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 14:08:51
1 On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I was wondering. Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
4 > compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros? Maybe Gentoo compared
5 > to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
6
7 I just did a test, and they're all the same.
8
9 CDs/DVDS of various distros dropped from a height of 1m all hit the
10 floor simultaneously [there are random variations due to aerodynamic
11 instability of the disk shape, but it's the same for all distros]. If
12 launched horizontally with spin to provide attitude stability (thrown
13 like a frisbee), they all fly the same.
14
15 The point being, you're going to have to define "speed".
16
17 Does speed refer to
18
19 Installation time?
20
21 Boot time?
22
23 Linpack?
24
25 Dhrystone?
26
27 Whetstone?
28
29 Time for me to figure out how to fix a configuration problem?
30
31 Time to do to an update on a machine that's been unplugged for a year?
32
33 Time to to produce a packaged version of some random C program that
34 comes with a Makefile that uses autotools?
35
36 Time for a reported bug to get fixed?
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Is it 1974? What's
40 at for SUPPER? Can I spend
41 gmail.com my COLLEGE FUND in one
42 wild afternoon??