From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] eselect-opengl Blockage (with a capital "B") problem
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 04:06:37
1 On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:44:58PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > The reason I had originally turned it off was because when it first
3 > showed up as a flag, I checked Google to find out what it was. Almost
4 > every hit on webforums was like...
5 >
6 > Person 1 - Help; my "update world" dies
7 > Person 2 - Turn off "libglvnd" in make.conf
8 > Person 1 - Thank you; my update works fine now
9
10 Even if it didn't break block eselect-opengl with mesa, it is generally
11 extraneous for most non-NVIDIA users. From [1]:
12
13 libglvnd is a vendor-neutral dispatch layer for arbitrating OpenGL API
14 calls between multiple vendors. It allows multiple drivers from
15 different vendors to coexist on the same filesystem, and determines
16 which vendor to dispatch each API call to at runtime.
17
18 See bug [2] and commit [3] for details regarding the breakages in X for
19 modern-NVIDIA users without libglvnd.
20
21 (Video drivers do not actually require an X server to be present, as unless the
22 `nomodesetting` parameter is given to the kernel, they can be initialised pre-X
23 to provide high-resolution TTYs.)
24
25 [1] https://github.com/NVIDIA/libglvnd
26 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/711780
27 [3] cb625716155c239585d752e7c19d113afdeb91af on gentoo.git
31 Ashley Dixon
32 suugaku.co.uk
35 DA96 D18A
36 8A7B B0D2