From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wha' hoppen to firestarter?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:07:41
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > On 6/5/07, Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 >> > I had firestarter-1.0.3 emerged for quite some time. I hadn't really
5 >> > used it, but I'm a bit surprised now to find that it's interfering
6 >> > with normal emerges because it's got a big red "M" smacked on it.
7 >> >
8 >> > I suppose that means there's a problem with it, and it's explained in
9 >> > some forum or list that I don't normally get. But now I'd like a
10 >> > clue: what's the {prognosis, workaround, fix, alternative}. As I
11 >> > mentioned, I hadn't really started to use it, but I'd like to have a
12 >> > better firewall tool than building iptables scripts in vim.
13 >> >
14 >>
15 >> This is from the Gentoo dev list.
16 >>
17 >> > The upstream development for firestarter has been dead for some time
18 >> > (last news update Jul 31 2005). Recent changes to the netfilter code
19 >> > in the kernel have caused firestarter not to work (see bug #179792).
20 >> > That bug has a patch that fixes that particular problem but the
21 >> fact that
22 >> > upstream is dead, the several other open bugs about firestarter and
23 >> the
24 >> > fact that I no longer use it myself mean I'm masking it for removal.
25 >> >
26 >> > I feel there are several good alternatives in net-firewall/ to use as
27 >> > replacements for the iptables-generating aspect of firestarter. If
28 >> > someone
29 >> > would like to pick up and maintain this package, they're welcome to
30 >> it,
31 >> > otherwise, I'll remove it in thirty days.
32 >> >
33 >> > Michael Sterrett
34 >> > -Mr. Bones.-
35 >>
36 >> So, if you like firestarter, better say something pretty soon. ;-)
37 >>
38 >> That help any??
39 >>
40 >> Dale
41 >
42 > That helps some, but in net-firewall I'm finding a lot of unstable
43 > packages, and no really good idea which ones will be the best for a
44 > personal firewall, let alone which ones are best supported upstream so
45 > this doesn't happen to me again. So I'm interested in
46 > recommendations. What did you switch to?
47 >
48 > ++ kevin
51 I haven't crossed the switching bridge yet. I use iptables myself. I
52 just browse around and "steal" someone else's script or rules. :D
53
54 Dale
55
57 --