From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 23:07:05
1 On 2018-07-21, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > What has happened is that somebody decided to add virtual/mta-1
4 > surreptitiously to the default software set in Gentoo. This
5 > installs something called nullmailer, which I don't need, didn't ask
6 > for, and fouls up my mail transmission.
7 >
8 > nullmailer installs a file /usr/sbin/sendmail. This masks out the
9 > correct /usr/bin/sendmail (which is a symbolic link to s/qmail,
10 > which I installed by hand, not using emerge) because /usr/sbin is
11 > before /usr/bin in $PATH.
12
13 Manually installing things in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin will often cause
14 problems because Portage assumes that it controls those directories.
15
16 So don't do that: you should manually install things in /usr/local.
17
18 Or, install qmail using portage, so that the system knows you have an
19 MTA. If you don't like the default qmail ebuild for some reason, you
20 can use your own.
21
22 Or, tell Portage you have an MTA by adding an appropriate line to
23 /etc/portage/profie/package.provided. See portage(5).
24
25 Or, don't use Gentoo if you don't want to do things the way Gentoo
26 does things.
27
28 > Is this worth a bug report?
29
30 No. It's not a bug its a user error. There are a half-dozen
31 different ways to do the right thing, but you chose the wrong thing.
34 Grant