From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: zlib use flag
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 23:24:10
1 On Wednesday, February 15, 2012 08:51:32 walt wrote:
2 > On 02/15/2012 04:23 AM, Daniel D Jones wrote:
3 > > Doing a world upgrade gives me:
4 > >
5 > > root@kushiel / # emerge -uDvatN world
6 > >
7 > > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
8 > >
9 > > Calculating dependencies... done!
10 > >
11 > > emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "sys-
12 > > apps/pciutils[-zlib]".
13 > > !!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
14 > > - sys-apps/pciutils-3.1.7::gentoo (Change USE: -zlib)
15 > > (dependency required by "sys-fs/udev-171-r5[hwdb]" [ebuild])
16 >
17 > ^^^^
18 >
19 > The problem is caused by the hwdb useflag, though I had to read the udev
20 > ebuild file to understand the error message :-/
21 >
22 > RDEPEND="${COMMON_DEPEND}
23 > hwdb?
24 > (
25 >
26 > >=sys-apps/usbutils-0.82
27 >
28 > sys-apps/pciutils[-zlib] <<<<<<<<<<<<<< look here
29 > )
30 >
31 > That syntax means "if you want hwdb support in udev you must disable zlib
32 > for pciutils". I have no idea why the two are incompatible, but it sounds
33 > to me like "an implementation detail" thingy.
34
35 hwdb is for:
36
37 sys-fs/udev: read vendor/device string database and add it to udev
38 database
39
40 Evidently, if zlib is enabled then a file which udev needs to read to pull the
41 vendor/device string will be zipped up and udev can't unzip or read it.
42
43 > In any case, if you need -zlib in one package and zlib in another you can
44 > set/unset the needed flag for just one package in /etc/portage/package.use.
45
46 Yeah but this error just occurred and I haven't recently installed anything
47 which should have caused it, so I'm trying to figure out why the change. You
48 can specify use files for one package but it's not usual, at least to my
49 knowledge, just to get common packages to both be installed.
50
51 I went the other route and disabled hwdb.
54 "So far, I haven't heard of anybody who wants to stop living on account of the
55 cost." - Kin Hubbard