From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New xorg.conf with x11-base/xorg-server-1.5.3-r5
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 01:33:32
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > As I see it, at the bottom of the stack you have a kernel and at the top a
4 > user space app (the X server will do for an example). Plug in a USB device
5 > that the app can use, and the kernel needs to make a node in /dev for it if
6 > it's not already there. The kernel should not be interrogating the device for
7 > all possible info - that is expensive - and doesn't need to. It only needs
8 > enough info to know what driver, major and minor numbers to use. X OTOH, can
9
10 I couldn't agree more. And this is what Udev, as a user space app, does.
11 The only thing it doesn't handle is communicating with other user space
12 apps; this is currently Hals job.
13
14 > the current model uses udev as the interface to the kernel's nodes and HAL as
15 > the interface to exactly what hardware you have. Seems pretty sane for the
16 > most usual use case. At some point in the stack you will need the OS-dependant
17 > part, my guess is the best place is between hal and udev. Only Linux uses
18
19 Well, as I understand it this is what it looks like today:
20
21 kernel <-> udev (or equivalent for non-linux kernel/OS) <-> hal <-> dbus
22 <-> user apps
23
24 To me that seems a bit redundant...
25
26 What I would like to see:
27
28 kernel <-> udev <-> user apps
29
30 Or at the most:
31
32 kernel <-> udev <-> daemon <-> user apps.
33
34 > udev, but all OSes use something in that spot. And if not, they have static
35 > nodes.
36
37 Yes, but if the developers could agree on a common API for the udev
38 daemon and it's equivalents on other platforms (what does BSD use?)...
39 Or if they could agree on using "Hal v2" (rewritten from scratch with no
40 or a minimum of dependencies).
41
42 > Meanwhile we have an acknowledged problem with hal - it's too complex, too
43 > many things have been shoved into it that were never catered for in the
44 > design, configuration is horrific - and the devs are having their usual
45 > spirited debate about how best to approach a solution. This is perfectly
46 > normal and perfectly healthy
47
48 Yes, I guess so. Since I'm (currently) not in the position to help out
49 I'll have to live with whatever they come up with. But sometimes it's a
50 bit frustrating... Sorry for the ranting.
51
52 Best regards
53
54 Peter K