From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] conntrack and the netfilter howto
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 00:41:36
1 I'm trying to bone up on netfilter, iptables, conntrack etc etc.
2
3 Using the howto at:
4 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Iptables_and_stateful_firewalls#Firewall_design_basics
5
6 Early on after describing how to generate a netfilter enabled kernel,
7 the author has this to say:
8
9 "If you've already rebooted and are using your new netfilter-enabled
10 kernel, you can view a list of active network connections that your
11 machine is participating in by typing
12
13 "cat /proc/net/ip_conntrack"
14
15 Even with no firewall configured, Linux's conntrack functionality is
16 working behind the scenes, keeping track of the connections that your
17 machine is participating in"
18
19 That file is not present on my setup. I'm guessing it may have been
20 renamed since the howto was written... maybe to `nf_conntrack'. But in
21 the files listed in /proc/net... I don't see the behavior described.
22
23 Maybe someone can tell me what has changed or what is missing...
24
25 ls /proc/net:
26
27 arp ip_tables_matches netlink ptype
28 softnet_stat
29 arp_tables_matches ip_tables_names netstat raw
30 stat
31 arp_tables_names ip_tables_targets nf_conntrack route
32 tcp
33 arp_tables_targets ipt_hashlimit nf_conntrack_expect rt_acct
34 udp
35 dev ipt_recent packet rt_cache
36 udplite
37 dev_mcast mcfilter pnp snmp