From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel 3G HT processor flags
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 04:53:13
1 On Mon, 2005-11-14 at 03:04 +0000, James wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > /proc/cpuinfo reveals:
5 > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
6 > pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid xtpr
7 > bogomips : 6140.75
10 > In my make.conf flag I have these settings:
11 > sse mmx
12 >
13 > Should I add more of these flags, such as sse2 or acpi
14 > to the make.conf?
15 >
16 > If so, why?
17 >
18 > Or should only set additional flags related to the processor
19 > in package.use per package, pertaining to the flags which
20 > are specific for the specific packages(ebuild)? For example
21 > mplayer list both sse and sse2 flags as options. I guess what
22 > I'm trying to figure out is exactly what (processor related)
23 > flags to set in make.conf which processor flags to set
24 > on package by package basis.
27 > Any futher docs on these P4 flags and there merits are welcome.
30 > James
31 >
32 Hi,
33 Think it's better just to check the ebuild, there some/many flags are:
34 striped, filtered, replaced. By a request of "mplayer" devs IIRC.
35 Not very sure but think mplayer was made to auto-detect it's flags.
36 HTH.Rumen