From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:45:32
1 On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 20:08:26 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > Remember arts and esd? They went the way of HAL. Nuff said. The
4 > thing to remember is that humans cannot multitask audio very well.
5
6 Have you ever been talking to someone when the fire alarm went off? Then
7 you'd realise we can multitask audio. Imagine if your ears decided not to
8 tell you about the alarm, because you were deep in conversation. That
9 used to be a problem and the reason we needed sound daemons. The reason
10 aRTS expired is that ALSA gained software mixing capabilities and a
11 separate daemon was no longer needed.
12
13 Pulseaudio has some interesting applications, such as being to control
14 settings on a per application basis, your audio player can use the
15 speakers while your VOIP program can use a bluetooth headset if paired.
16 At the moment it is too messy and troublesome to bother with, but one day
17 I hope we will get a decent sound control system. However, I know in my
18 heart that is also the day we will be told it is no longer enough and we
19 have to have a new system.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t,"