From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition tale recovery
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 21:34:04
1 On Thursday 15 November 2007, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Donnerstag, 15. November 2007, pepone.onrez wrote:
3 > > There is any way for recover the partition table of a hardisk with out a
4 > > copy of the partition table?
5 >
6 > testdisk can do it
7 > gpart can do it
8 > maybe parted can do it too.
9
10 I haven't used gpart, or parted for this job, but have successfully used
11 testdisk. I think I ran it either from a CD, or a floppy and it was able to
12 find the last few partition tables that I had set up on that disk. I chose
13 the desired partition table (it was the most recent) and off it went from
14 there. I have to say I was well impressed with it. Must have
15 application. :)
16
17 Good luck.
18
19 (PS. [OT slightly] Don't mean to start another flamewar about the pro's &
20 con's, but would this sort of recovery work the same with a LVM? I would
21 assume that it would, because the LVM is sort of a superstructure, but I do
22 not know how the conventional partition table relates to the LV tables.)
23 --
24 Regards,
25 Mick