From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED (hopefully) New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 22:28:47
1 On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 21:24:31 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 21/06/2021 16:17, Michael wrote:
3 > > Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't work
4 > > with
5 > > Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get with them is a
6 > > black screen.
7 >
8 > I've had that on a couple of occasions, now, and I just thought I'd post
9 > this in case anybody else hits it and wants to find the solution.
10 >
11 > The first half of the fix is to ssh into the machine from somewhere else
12 > (or if you're lucky and <ctrl>-<alt>-Fn is working, switch to a
13 > different tty) and kill kwin or whatever. Basically kill whatever it
14 > takes to get back to a tty. (This assumes you're not running a
15 > greeter/graphical login.)
16 >
17 > Then you should see a bunch of error messages etc. I'm not aware of any
18 > way to get them logged, which would make life easier.
19 >
20 > And they should tell you what's wrong, like in my case two different
21 > problems on two different occasions - once I was missing the compositor,
22 > once my video drivers weren't loaded.
23 >
24 > Cheers,
25 > Wol
26
27 I've noticed login out of Wayland ends up with a number of KDE apps crashing,
28 rather than exiting gracefully. I think kwin is one of them, as well as
29 KDEPIM related apps, perhaps others too.
30
31 Wayland is much more stable today than a year ago, but I think as far as
32 Plasma is concerned it's not yet ready for production time.