From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recover on SSD
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 06:51:26
1 On 5 May 2013, at 17:16, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
2 > ... The data on a SSD is not
3 > necessarily stored linar so it's not said that a new partition is using
4 > the same memory cells as the old one.
5 > …
6 > For a HDD I'd advise to create a copy
7 > using dd but from my understanding of SSD technology it's not
8 > guaranteed to copy the right (now unused marked) blocks.
9
10 Is anyone able to elaborate on this, please?
11
12 I think I've had a eureka! moment of understanding whilst preparing to compose this reply, but I've always been sceptical of these kinds of statements in the past.
13
14 Surely flash memory devices must present themselves to the o/s as block devices, because that's how all storage devices work, right?
15
16 If I'm now understanding correctly, SSDs present themselves to the o/s as block devices more or less as convenient or necessary. They can be treated as such as long as all the data required is listed in the file allocation table. I'm left wondering how the SSD knows that a file has been deleted, and whether this works for all conceivable file-systems.
17
18 Stroller.