From: Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP printing query
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:55:29
1 Philip Webb schrieb am 16.04.2014 01:07:
2 > I ran into a problem trying to print yesterday -- solved for now -- ,
3 > but would like to simplify things for the next occasion.
4 >
5 > What appears to have happened is that when I updated Hplip + Cups,
6 > one of them created a new printer, so that the list now appears as :
7 >
8 > Deskjet_2510 Automatically setup by HPLIP
9 > HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9 Paused - "Filter failed"
10 > Deskjet_2510_2 Deskjet_2510_2
11 > HP Deskjet 2510 Series hpijs, 3.13.9 Idle
12 >
13 > I had the Vim plug-in 'prtdialog' + Kwrite + LO set to use the former,
14 > but needed to change them all to the latter to get the printer to respond.
15 >
16 > Is this something I have to allow for whenever I update those pkgs ?
17 > I can delete the old one as root, but can I rename the new one ?
21 Just for your information I have removed the auto-configuration [1] of
22 hplip printers done by udev rules. There was as well an upgrade and an
23 uninstall tool which I have removed as well. This are things which
24 should be done by the user/admin.
25
26 As mentioned on the wiki page for hplip [2] at every upgrade the
27 recommended action is to delete all print queues and recreate them
28 again, either with hp-setup or the cups web interface.
31 [1] *hplip-3.14.3 (07 Mar 2014)
32
33 07 Mar 2014; Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o> +hplip-3.14.3.ebuild:
34 Version bump. This version adds a patch which removes the update and
35 uninstall python scripts as well as the auto-configuration/plug-in
36 installation related stuff from the udev rules. This should fix Gentoo bug
37 #434830 (Upstream bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/1080353).
40 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/HPLIP
43 Regards
44 Daniel Pielmeier