From: "Sergey A. Kobzar" <sergey.kobzar@××××.ru>
To: Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Re: Web server mirror
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 20:29:17
1 Thursday, April 9, 2009, 12:09:57 AM, Momesso wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 11:06:24PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >> Momesso Andrea wrote:
5 >>> I'm not a professional admin, but I run a web server that was supposed
6 >>> to be a small system for a couple of users (my wife and her students),
7 >>> and now became something bigger with some amount of traffic, and some
8 >>> people rely on it for critical data.
9 >>> Since the scope of the site changed I'd like to add some extra security.
10 >>> As now all I have are dayly snapshot backup of the server hard disk on
11 >>> an external disk and weekly I move one of those snapshot on a disk that
12 >>> I store off site and is used only for this scope.
13 >>> In the same lan I also run another machine that I use as a home server
14 >>> for personal purpose.
15 >>> I'd like to keep a mirror of all the webapps running on the main server
16 >>> in this machine for two puroposes:
17 >>> 1) Have a backup working site, so that if something goes wrong, in the
18 >>> time I reinstall from backup, fix hardware or wathever, I can redirect
19 >>> the traffic on the salve machine (possibly in read only mode).
20 >>
21 >> Put them both behind a NAT. When one goes down, you NAT the port to the
22 >> other machine.
25 > Ok, nice suggestion.
26
27 Use CARP (HSRP) - it's better solution IMHO and does not require
28 manual work in emergency.
29
30 http://www.linux.com/feature/35482
33 >>> 2) Keeping a copy of the working site on a virtual host in the other
34 >>> machine allows the admin (my wife) to test new stuff, change things, add
35 >>> modules, without putting in danger the main site.
36 >>
37 >> rsync the main machine to the second machine. You can rsync specific
38 >> folders. If your website is in /var/www of the first machine, you can
39 >> rsync that to the /var/www of the second for example.
40 >>
41 >>> What I ask is some advice on best practice to achieve the needed result;
42 >>> I suppose that all I need is to rsync the webserver directory in a
43 >>> virtual server on the slave machine and to dump the databases, but I'm
44 >>> not sure this will be enough.
45 >>
46 >> rsync does the mirroring, NAT does the redirection of traffic. Those are
47 >> the tools used by most to achieve what you described.
48 >>
49 > Ok, but what about databases? Joomla has his own and mediawiki too...
50 > Just dump it and copy it? Will it work?
51
52 If this is MySQL, use dump/restore. This should be enough.
55 > ---
56 > TopperH
57 > http://topperh.blogspot.com
62 Sergey