From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] remote desktop suggestion
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:40:47
1 On Wednesday 27 January 2010 00:01:54 Amit Dor-Shifer wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >> Hello,
6 > >>
7 > >> I would like to try a remote desktop server/client app (linux to linux).
8 > >> Would anyone have suggestions? freenx x ltsp x vnc x others?
9 > >>
10 > >> Thanks,
11 > >
12 > > definitely one of the NX or NX-derived products. The performance is
13 > > lightyears ahead of any other and there are clients for
14 > > windows/mac/solaris and it uses ssh already so no need to mess with
15 > > tunnelling. It can also proxy local VNC and RDP connections to make
16 > > them faster, too.
17 >
18 > I tried nxserver-freenx. The performance is indeed impressive. Yet it
19 > didn't work 'out-of-the-box'. I had to assign write perms over /tmp, as
20 > nx user is attempting to write to that folder.
21
22 /tmp MUST have write permissions anyway. It needs to be 777 plus sticky dir as
23 the entire point of it is for any user to write to it
24
25 So your box was broken. If it had been fixed, nx would probably have worked
26 out the box
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com