From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev-191 bit me. Insufficient ptys
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:27:07
1 On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:35:06 -0500
3 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> So, I botched the upgrade to udev-191. I thought I'd followed the
6 >> steps, but I apparently only covered them for one machine, not both.
7 >>
8 >> The news item instructions specified that I had to remove
9 >> udev-postmount from my runlevels. I didn't have udev-postmount in my
10 >> runlevels, so I didn't remove it. Turns out, that dictum also applies
11 >> to udev-mount. So after removing that[1], I was able to at least boot
12 >> again.
13 >>
14 >> Udev also complained about DEVTMPFS not being enabled in the
15 >> kernel.[2] I couldn't get into X, but I could log in via getty and a
16 >> plain old vt, so I enabled it, rebuilt the kernel, installed it and
17 >> rebooted...and now that's presumably covered.
18 >>
19 >> I'm now able to get into X, but when I try to run an xterm, it fails.
20 >> Checking ~/.xsession_errors, I find:
21 >>
22 >> xterm: Error 32, error 2: No such file or directory
23 >> Reason: get_pty: not enough ptys
24 >>
25 >> I find this bizarre, as I'd never had any trouble with xterm in this
26 >> way before. What'd I do wrong, and how do I recover? I don't trust
27 >> emerging at this point; I tried re-emerging udev, and I aborted after
28 >> I saw an stderr line about failing to open a pty, even though portage
29 >> does quiet builds for parallel building by default...so I doubt
30 >> whatever emitted that line on stderr was being properly guarded
31 >> against the failure.
32 >>
33 >> [1] I didn't have a boot cd or similar to work with, so I used the old
34 >> init=/bin/sh trick on the command line. That was functional. And then
35 >> I tried init=/usr/bin/vim, and things got real. :)
36 >>
37 >> [2] Sparking a bemused discussion with a friend at tonight's LUG
38 >> meeting over the devfs->udev->udev+devtmpfs progression, but that's a
39 >> different story.
40 >
41 > I can't get any kernel >=gentoo-sources-3.7.1 to work properly with
42 > vtys either.
43 >
44 > 3.7.1 is fine, anything earlier is fine.
45 > I haven't bothered tracking it down further than that (have a severe
46 > dose of laziness right now...)
47 >
48 > What kernel are you running on these affected hosts?
49
50 gentoo-sources-3.6.11
51
52 Note my vtys worked fine, it was just the ptys which failed.
55 :wq