From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] WARNING: Do not update your system on ~amd64
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 05:59:26
1 Hello,
2 I've noticed a problem with the current PAM update to
3 sys-libs/pam-1.4.0.
4 The update adds passwdqc USE to sys-auth/pambase, which pulls in
5 sys-auth/passwdqc. However sys-auth/passwdqc fails to build on my
6 system, and leaves me with an installed sys-libs/pam-1.4.0 which is
7 broken and does not allow any new login.
8 The end result is that sys-libs/pam-1.4.0 was successfully merged but
9 sys-auth/pambase will not be merged, due to a build failure in passwdqc.
10 Disabling the USE flag passwdqc for pambase allows an update to pambase
11 too, and logins work again.
12 This is a warning to anyone out there who updates daily and runs an
13 ~amd64.
14
15 One system that I updated and restarted, I cannot login to it anymore
16 (or ssh into it). Another system that I updated and currently am
17 writing from, I'm still logged in after the broken update. and I can
18 see the following error message (before disabling the USE flag passwdqc
19 for the package pambase):
20 PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_cracklib.so): /lib64/security/pam_cracklib.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
21 PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_cracklib.so
22
23 After doing a
24 USE=-passwdqc emerge -a1 pambase
25 the error messages disappear from the system logs and I am able to
26 login to my machine again. However if you reboot with the broken state
27 you will have a hard time updating it, since you cannot login to your
28 machine anymore and need a chroot from a live system.
29
30 The bug report for passwdqc is here:
31 https://bugs.gentoo.org/728528
32