From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which linux RAID setup to choose?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 00:29:24
1 On Monday, May 4, 2020 2:50 AM, hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Am 03.05.2020 um 23:46 schrieb Caveman Al Toraboran:
4 >
5 > > so, in summary:
6 > > /------------------------------------------------\
7 > > | a 5-disk RAID10 is better than a 6-disk RAID10 |
8 > > | ONLY IF your data is WORTH LESS than 3,524.3 |
9 > > | bucks. |
10 > > \------------------------------------------------/
11 > > any thoughts? i'm a newbie. i wonder how
12 > > industry people think?
13 >
14 > Don't forget that having more drives increases the odds of a failing
15 > drive. If you have infinite drives at any given moment infinite drives
16 > will fail. Anyway I wouldn't know how to calculate this.
17
18 by drive, you mean a spinning hard disk?
19
20 i'm not sure how "infinite" helps here even
21 theoretically. e.g. say that every year, 76% of
22 disks fail. in the limit as the number of disks
23 approaches infinity, then 76% of infinity is
24 infinity. but, how is this useful?
25
26 > Most people are limited by money and space. Even if this isn't your
27 > problem you will always need an additional backup strategy. The hole
28 > system can fail.
29 > I run a system with 8 drives where two can fail and they can be hot
30 > swoped. This is a closed source SAS which I really like except the part
31 > being closed source. I don't even know what kind of raid is used.
32 >
33 > The only person I know who is running a really huge raid ( I guess 2000+
34 > drives) is comfortable with some spare drives. His raid did fail an can
35 > fail. Data will be lost. Everything important has to be stored at a
36 > secondary location. But they are using the raid to store data for some
37 > days or weeks when a server is calculating stuff. If the raid fails they
38 > have to restart the program for the calculation.
39
40 thanks a lot. highly appreciate these tips about
41 how others run their storage.
42
43 however, i am not sure what is the takeaway from
44 this. e.g. your closed-source NAS vs. a large
45 RAID. they don't seem to be mutually exclusive to
46 me (both might be on RAID).
47
48 to me, a NAS is just a computer with RAID. no?
51 > Facebook used to store data which is sometimes accessed on raids. Since
52 > they use energy they stored data which is nearly never accessed on blue
53 > ray disks. I don't know if they still do. Reading is very slow if a
54 > mechanical arm first needs to fetch a specific blue ray out of hundreds
55 > and put in a disk reader but it is very energy efficient.
56
57 interesting.