From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Setup questions for dedicated "media center" box.
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:17:42
1 A few weeks ago, I got a new AMD machine, and I specified the
2 motherboard that came with the "Geforce 6150" video chip onboard. I
3 understand that hardware acceleration works with it. Separately, I also
4 ordered a PCHDTV card ( http://pchdtv.com ) and a PCI modem. I intend
5 to use the machine to record/playback TV broadcasts. I got busy with a
6 few other things, but finally got around to installing console-only
7 Gentoo (2006.1) this weekend.
8
9 Now for the setup questions. In the portage x11-base directory, I see
10
11 kdrive
12 opengl-update
13 x11-drm
14 xdirectfb
15 xorg-server
16 xorg-x11
17
18 I presume xorg-x11 is the standard X. I've gotten into the habit of
19 emerging a GUI app onto a console-only system, and X never shows up in
20 "world". It gets pulled in as a dependancy. Will this cause problems
21 if I want to use hardware acceleration? Is x11-drm a direct-rendering
22 version that's faster than standard X? I'll probably be using mplayer
23 heavily, unless a showstopper comes along. Is SVGA any faster than X?
24 Since this'll be a single-purpose dedicated box, connecting to the net
25 only for updates, I have no problem running it as root full-time.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
29 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list