From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 21:33:34
1 On 12/09/2018 01:57 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On December 9, 2018 6:23:07 PM UTC, "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 12/07/2018 06:47 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 07/12/2018 09:30, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 >>>>> If you want to see all of the installed packages that are affected,
7 >>>>> you need to set CPU_FLAGS_X86 to an empty string:
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>>    CPU_FLAGS_X86=""
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> and then do "emerge -puDN --with-bdeps=y @world". This is because
12 >>>>> CPU_FLAGS_X86 is not empty by default. It contains sse and sse2 by
13 >>>>> default, because these are supported by all 64-bit CPUs.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>
16 >>>> What I did, I commented out the whole line and ran it that way.
17 >>>
18 >>> If you comment it out, it will have default values. If you set it to
19 >> an
20 >>> empty string, you should be able to see which packages make use of
21 >> the
22 >>> default flags (like sse and sse2.)
23 >>>
24 >>> Note it's a pretend emerge (-p). Just to check which packages you
25 >> have
26 >>> installed that make use of these flags.
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>>> One last question for anyone who has done this recently.  When
30 >> finished,
31 >>>> I'll have a FX-8350 CPU with 8 cores at 4.0/4.2GHz, 32GBs of memory
32 >> all
33 >>>> on a Gigabyte 970 series mobo.  Would there be any point in
34 >> upgrading to
35 >>>> a whole new rig or is what I have about as fast is reasonable to
36 >> build?
37 >>>> I don't do gaming or anything.  Even the GTX 650 video card is
38 >> likely
39 >>>> overkill for what I do here.  The older 200 series card is working
40 >> just
41 >>>> fine.  On one hand, my current build is several years old.  On the
42 >>>> other, computers seem to have reached their peak.  I'm sure there is
43 >>>> more powerful systems out there but would I be any better off with
44 >> one?
45 >>
46 >> Since the AM3+ and its C32/G34 Opteron counterparts are the last and
47 >> best x86 cpus without ME/PSP I would say you are better off with what
48 >> you have - the best piledriver cpus like the FX-8350+ are still able to
49 >> play the latest games and in a VM via IOMMU-GFX if you want.
50 >>
51 >> In any case I would consider a OpenPOWER (ppc64/ppc64le) arch system
52 >> (like the blackbird or talos 2) as an upgrade path instead of any
53 >> futher
54 >> x86 stuff as there aren't any black boxes, there is
55 >> documentation+firmware sources and the cpus are made in usa.
56 >
57 > Made in USA isn't necessarily a good thing when talking about not wanting any hidden back doors.
58
59 Hell of a lot better than buying black box hardware from china.
60
61 x86 is definitely backdoored due to the ME/PSP and various other DRM
62 features that mean you no longer own your x86 computer.
63
64 In the US you aren't going to prison for telling the government you
65 won't put a backdoor in your hardware whereas in china and many others
66 you would go to jail without even a trial even in western europe people
67 are jailed for saying the wrong things on the internet. It is currently
68 the hardest place for an authority figure to lean on you.
69
70 Since the only users of POWER are fortune 500's and the government
71 itself it needs to be secure and not fucked around with, ironically the
72 chinese government is buying OpenPOWER now as they want a secure, owner
73 controlled, highly documented and non-x86 high performance CPU (there is
74 absolutely no hardware code signing not even for the cpu microcode and
75 no blobs are required for hardware initiation unlike with new x86 stuff)
76
77 One doesn't have to put an actual func_backdoor backdoor in a CPU since
78 something so complex will have exploitable bugs that even the
79 manufacturer doesn't know about such as the (fixed via microcode) 2014
80 AMD Piledriver NMI to root exploit where you could get root and SMM
81 access from a tiny userspace script and that was in there for years
82 without anyone noticing.
83
84 > Not sure which country would be a reliable location though, I wouldn't trust Western European countries either.
85
86 USA is currently the best option since there have never been proven
87 backdoors in made in usa hardware but plenty in chinese made hardware
88 such as the recent motherboard hack chip scandal.