From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ALSA_CARDS Variable in-kernel drivers?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:04:24
1 On 2/27/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:59:21 +0100
3 > Jakob Buchgraber <jakob.buchgraber@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > b.n. wrote:
6 > > > Jakob Buchgraber ha scritto:
7 > > >
8 > > >> Hi!
9 > > >>
10 > > >> I just read about the required ALSA_CARDS variable when using
11 > > >> in-kernel drivers in the Gentoo Newsletter. Since I am using
12 > > >> in-kernel ALSA drivers I would like to know what changed and why
13 > > >> this is required? Is this explained somewhere? I am using
14 > > >> vanilla-sources (not gentoo-sources). So do I need to set
15 > > >> ALSA_CARDS when using vanilla-sources too?
16 > > >>
17 > > >
18 > > > The GWN seems clear:
19 > > > "for users using the in-kernel drivers, they
20 > > > should now properly set that variable"
21 > > >
22 > > > I think that the other alsa packages must be aware of it. Anyway I
23 > > > think setting it shouldn't harm.
24
25 Context from the GWN in question:
26
27 "In the past days there were a few changes to two ALSA packages,
28 media-sound/alsa-firmware-1.0.14_rc2-r1 and
29 media-sound/alsa-tools-1.0.14_rc1-r1. These two ebuilds now make use
30 of the ALSA_CARDS variable to decide which firmwares to install and
31 which tools to build."
32
33 So it looks to me like it has nothing to do with the kernel. I can't
34 check the ebuilds right now, but my guess is that they would explain
35 what those two packages need the variable for, and what has changed.
38 Ryan W Sims
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list