From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup & restore solution?
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:52:35
1 Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I am now looking for some sort of backup & restore solution which would
6 > help me to get my gentoo-server up and running after fatal disk failure.
7 >
8 > I want to burn at regular intervals compressed partition images of disk
9 > on internal dvd/rw/ram (4.5 GB should be enough for archiving the whole
10 > disk, without /home partition).
13 Well, tar and cpio are good choices because they are available on the
14 Gentoo live CD. If you chose another program, you will just need to
15 make sure that you have a static binary of it available at recovery time
16 (copying this to your recovery media is the best choice).
17
18 I am currently using 'dar' to backup to external USB hard disk. Dar is
19 also useful for backing up to DVD media though, because it has good
20 support for creating archive 'slices' that will fit nicely on a DVD,
21 just in case you decide to backup /home as well.
22
23 It is in portage, but if you are interested, check out
24 http://dar.linux.free.fr/
25
26 For 'quick-and-easy' restoring, I'm not aware of anything that really
27 automates the process. But generally the steps are:
28
29 1. fdisk
30 2. mkfs
31 3. mount
32 4. restore files
33 5. chroot
34 6. install boot loader
35 7. reboot
36
37 The difficulty in restoring the files will really depend upon how you
38 make your backups (always full, incrementals, differentials, etc). A
39 full backup would always be the easiest, as you only need a single
40 piece/set of media and one command to do the restore.
41
42 The rest of the steps are pretty much exactly the same as for when you
43 installed Gentoo, so there shouldn't be any real surprises there.
44
45 One last thing, if you've only got a single CD/DVD drive, you are
46 probably going to have an issue to have both the live CD and the backup
47 media available, since you can't really eject the live CD to insert your
48 backup disk.
49
50 -Richard
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list