From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to make Gentoo more Ubuntu like
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 02:56:35
1 Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
2 > On Sunday 30 April 2006 02:47, JimD wrote:
3 >> Does anyone have any good link on making Gentoo a little more
4 >> user-friendly like Ubunut? I am looking for basic home user stuff for
5 >> my wife such as:
6 >>
7 >> Automount/play a music CD, DVD
8 >> Automout a USB camera
9 >
10 > even without hal/dbus&co KDE asks everytime you insert a cd/dvd what to do.
11 > Say play it, and it should play it.
12 >
13 > What is the difference between 'automounting' and clicking on the desktop
14 > symbol and let the mount happen in the background?
15 > None. So just set up fstab properly and create the desktop symbols.
16 >
17 > For unmounting - right click --> eject. Could it be more easy?
18
19 There is no difference for me. My gnome build has never auto mounted a
20 CD, etc.
21
22 I need to setup my wife's laptop as WinXP-ish as possible so she doesn't
23 complain to put WinXP back on. All she does is read email with GMail,
24 browse with FF and once in a while uses OOo. All of those can be done
25 on Gentoo just fine. However, when my wife puts in her music CDs, she
26 wants it to just play the music. The same for a DVD.
27
28 Me personally, I always have gnome-terminal open so it is easier to just
29 mount /mnt/cdrom or xine dvd://
30
31 Jim
32 --